Monday, November 13, 2006

Mother duck and her baby ducklings

You won't believe what we saw yesterday!!!
I heard a commotion out the front with the Miner Birds, assuming they were squawking at a dog I went to investigate. What I was confronted with was.....a mother duck and her baby ducklings ambling across the school oval. Of course it was a shock and then reality hit in. She was going to have to cross the main road. Now this road is not a main main road but nevertheless, its certainly busy. She aimed herself straight for it and once out of the school grounds was on a mission. I was feeling extremely sick in the stomach. Firstly, how did she come to being at the school in the first place. Yes, the river is not very far away but she would have had to cross the road the first time. Stupid women.
I was mortified, and convinced that all would not be well. So much so, I did contemplate stopping traffic and possibly getting hit whilst doing so. As fate would have it, she and her ducklings did cross safely and were last seen, waddling across another oval in the general direction of the river. Why does stuff like that happen to me. Was I supposed to help her? Is someone teaching me a lesson? I don't know.
Once I had calmed down, I continued to think about it. Casually asking Brad, "Where was the dad?" to Brads reply "At the pub, where he is supposed to be" If you know my husband, you know that he was only joking but he did answer the question quite quickly.
Anyway, I'm glad that all ended well because I'm not sure I would have been able to walk past the accident scene when on my way to the bus stop for work.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Oh my I would have been stupid enough to try to stop traffic

Tan said...

It wasn't a pleasant experience. And I don't want to relive it again in a hurry