Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Epipen


If someone has an epipen, you wouldn't think it should be hard, getting another one, once the expiry date has lapsed. Well it is. For those of you who don't know what an epipen is, its a needle with adrenalin in it, so if someone is having an anaphylaxis episode, you jab them and they are supposed to be better. Well Ewan is allergic to nuts and will need this epipen if something happens. The one he has has expired. I hoped that I would just need to go to the chemist and get another one, but noooooo. I need an authority and they aren't easy to get. I tried to call the immunology centre at the Flinders but they aren't working this afternoon, so I can't speak to his allergy doctor. The general doctor is unavailable also which basically means to get an epipen it will cost me over $100 instead of $30.

It is all sorting itself out and the chemist is being really good but I want to know what happens in years and years time when Ewan doesn't need to see the immunologist but his epipens expire. It sounds stupid to think that he needs a prescription every time, however he won't grow out of the nut allergy which means he will need the epipen for the rest of his life. Its just one of those things that you have to deal with and eventually Ewan will have to deal with. I just hope he goes through the rest of his life, not having to use the epipen at all.

No comments: